Two of my best friends in the world called up today, extremely distressed at the prospect that everyone in their family has had a change of astrological sign due to the new dates they read about on the Huffington Post. Bernie felt she'd been lied to all these years, and John was grappling with the prospect of losing his Virgo-ness. I told them not to fret -- go tropical instead!
There are a few ways to go with astrology I've always been happy that tropical has been my choice.
1. Tropical just sounds better. It's breezy and easier to pronounce than "sidereal."
2. There are far fewer animals to keep track of than there are in Chinese astrology. I tend to be allergic.
3. I like the fun mix of weirdo beasts -- like the Sagittarian Centaur and the Capricorn Sea Goat. I couldn't short change those guys their moment in the Sun for all the Ophiucus's in the world. (Not that I have anything against men carrying snakes, as long as they are carrying them out of my yard. I'm possibly allergic …)
4. With Tropical astrology, you don't have to keep track of the precession of the equinoxes. I mean, isn't there enough to worry about, what with all the squirrely, unpredictable asteroids and quasars that give off 1,000 times more energy than the entire Milky Way galaxy?
5. Tropical astrology was developed in Century 2 BCE and the longer it hangs around, the more resonate the symbols become. Hey, if it was good enough for Ptolemy, it's good enough for me.
"Mortal as I am, I know that I am born for a day. But when I follow at my pleasure the serried multitude of the stars in their circular course, my feet no longer touch the earth." -- Ptolemy
Share a free sample 2014 Jobs and Money Forecast. Master your money and attain success with this startlingly accurate forecast!
A Rose by any other Name ... Astrology is still the Same!
The 13th Zodiac Sign -- Has Your Sun Sign Changed?
Are you an Ophiuchus? Is the Zodiac all Wrong?
Signs Are Okay: Astronomers Just Making Mischief
Are You Dating an Ophiucan?
In Defense of Zodiac Signs
With the dual sign of Gemini Rising, Susan Kelly is quite comfortable wearing two chapeaus: stylish writer and astrologer! For close to two decades, she has commented on trends in fashion, beauty and home décor. Her past fashion and beauty... read more