According to a recent story in an Australian newspaper, Aussie employees have built up an amazing 121,000,000 (yep that many noughts) days of annual leave. I’m a Pisces, so the quantitative value of this is relatively immaterial to me, but apparently this equates to annual leave accruals for Australian companies in the billions of dollars.
I have no idea how many days per worker this equates to (nor can I be bothered to work it out), but the same source estimates that one third of full time workers will not take any annual leave at all this year. Given that my annual leave accrual at any single point in time tends to be negative (my requests for annual leave are usually accompanied by an estimate as to how long it will take me to repay the time… and the credit card…), the whole idea of toughing it out day after day is something I just can’t identify with.
But then again, I am a Pisces and my days are made more interesting by dreams of where I could be or where I could go. Jupiter is quite strong in my chart (and rules my career house) so I tend to worry less about what could happen back in the office than maybe I should & possibly also less than other Pisces’ employees may do. Instead I drive my colleagues mad with a countdown to whatever is happening next- fortunately for them I am more of a last minute planner than a 12 month in advance booker.
We all know many people don’t like to travel, people who don’t own a passport and have no inclination to leave the country. Each to their own. One friend with his Sun and Moon in Cancer in the 4th house spends his summer break most years set up beside the backyard pool with an esky, a book and the TV. For him it is perfect. That’s cool, and in the current economic climate, financially responsible. There are some really great ideas around for “Staycations”- the vacation you take from home- the vacation that lets you find creative ways to recharge away from the office without the financial impact of travel. So if we can vacation creatively, cheaply and responsibly from home, what, I wondered, are the reasons people don’t take their leave entitlements?
Naturally if you are self employed, the picture and the reasons are incredibly different- I am mainly looking at corporate employees here.
In general, Fire and Air signs tend to manage their work/life balance better than earth and water- they get the whole “Get A Life” thing and usually know when they need to stop and smell the roses... usually. As to Earth and Water? Whilst the below may be generalising, the following are some reasons as to why certain signs may be reluctant to take their vacations:
· If you have a strong Jupiter, you can stop reading now- you will most likely be similar to me with travel brochures providing a convenient stepping stone to climb into your bed and a leave balance in the red.
· Employees with a strong Capricorn or Saturn presence are very goal orientated and may prefer to work than relax. They may be pushing for promotion, attempting to establish themselves. They may also simply just love their job.
· The Cancer/Capricorn axis tends to be more concerned than other signs around accumulating leave as an insurance policy against emergencies, redundancy or when extra money is needed.
· The Taurus/Scorpio axis is more concerned around change taking place while they are absent and the financial impact of taking leave. Scorpio in particular may be concerned with shifts in power bases while they are absent from the office.
· People with a strong Pisces/Virgo may be martyrs or victims to their jobs and their workloads. They may cite increased workloads both before the holiday & after they return. In the current economic climate, leave is rarely covered and the victim or martyr may feel that things will completely fall apart if they are not around. They may also use the excuse that no one can do things as well as they can.
· Pisces, in particular, will dream about where they want to go, but never quite make a decision before their head is turned by another destination or a reason why they can’t possibly leave at this time.
· The Sagittarius/Gemini axis love holidays and change, but may be saving their leave for the big dream holiday. These guys are also opportunity focused so may like to have some annual leave up their sleeve in case something great comes around. How else can you take advantage of great last minute airline deals?
Share a free sample Year of the Wood Sheep Forecast. The Year of the Sheep is a time of positivity and luck! Get a preview of what the year holds for you!
But with all those days that no one will be taking this year, I can’t help but wonder whether anyone wants to throw some my way...no? It was worth a try.
Find your path to fulfillment with a Free Psychic Reading. Call 1-800-749-5790