This New Moon Ritual Centers on Taurus' Patient Nature
When the new moon enters Taurus on May 4, you may feel like settling down into a comfy chair with a cup of tea and sticking to the same old routine. But trust us—you don’t. New moons are opportunities to move forward, Uranus is in Taurus right now giving us an extra boost, and Venus (which rules the lunation) is in Aries, making us extra eager to affect change in our lives.
What this really means is that we need to make changes and opt for propellation in this lunation, but at Taurus’ slow and steady pace. We’re running a marathon, not a sprint. Below, Kari Dern of Become Spellbound offers a crystal ritual to help us tune into Taurus’ sense of patience and eliminate any anxieties about upcoming events.
- Palo Santo stick or sage bundle
- Fireproof bowl: ceramic, metal, or a large abalone shell
- Notebook and pen or pencil
- Blue candle to represent patience
- Petrified Wood to promote patience and transformation
- Black Moonstone (new moon energy, intention setting)
- Black Tourmaline (protection, clearing away negative energy and thought patterns)
- Quartz (amplification)
- Light your Palo Santo or sage and pass your crystals and the petrified wood through the smoke to cleanse them. Place the Palo Santo or sage into the bowl and set aside to cool down.
- Sit in a peaceful, comfortable spot. Arrange your crystals in front of you with the candle at the center.
- In your notebook, write down what you need to cleanse or clear away. This includes both physical and mental feelings (think discomfort, stress, anxiety, or negativity).
- Next, write down what you would like to draw to you or manifest, including any positive feelings you’d like to embody or seeds that you want to sow.
- Light the candle. Hold the quartz in your left hand and the petrified wood in your right hand.
- Allow your gaze to softly focus on the candle flame. Take a deep breath in. During the breath, imagine something you want to call forth. On the exhale, imagine something you want to release. Do this breathing exercise once for each intention.
- Continue taking deep, slow breaths for five minutes. Feel the energy of the new moon and your spiritual tools coursing through your body. Imagine a blue light surrounding you, growing brighter and larger as you breathe. If you feel you need longer than five minutes for this, then take that time.
- As your meditation comes to a close, repeat this mantra three times: “In patience, the lessons of transformation are revealed. Events will unfold when the time is right.”
- When you feel you are ready, blow out the candle and place the paper with your intentions somewhere that you can reflect on them throughout this moon cycle. If desired, burn them at the next full moon (which falls in Scorpio) to heighten the energy and release it into the universe.
Happy new moon!
Jennifer Billock is an award-winning writer, bestselling author, and editor. She is currently dreaming of an around-the-world trip with her Boston terrier.
Ritual and artwork by Kari Dern of Become Spellbound